Thursday, January 8, 2015

Facing Challenges

It is common knowledge that parenting boys is challenging, and my boys rank right up there with the rest of them in the challenge department.

Do you remember the old Dry Idea commercial, "Never let them see ya sweat"? I live that each and every day.

I have always thought the tough parent of parenting was getting through those "early" years. Newborn, Toddler, Preschool ages. I always had the misconception that the older they were, the more "together" they would be. Folks . . . that is a total mirage! 

In the "Early" years, we would deal with things like:
  1. Getting very little sleep.
  2. Watching their every move.
  3. Teaching them to roll over, sit, crawl, stand and talk.
  4. Making sure they were safe every second.
  5. A little one that liked to bite.
  6. A clingy child
  7. A crier
  8. Sharing
Now my boys are 12, 11, 10 and 8 and we deal with things like:
  1. Blaming one another.
  2. Arguing
  3. Punishments 
  4. Not doing what they know they are supposed to do
  5. Excuses
  6. Lies
  7. Taking one another's things.
  8. ATTITUDE . . . This is a BIG one!
  9. Ignoring Mom and Dad.
  10. I am the "oldest" and I should be able to, or I should . . .
  11. Arguing with Mom and/or Dad.
  12. Tween Hormones (No, they aren't just for girls.)
Both stages can be frustrating and are definitely exhausting. Every parent can tell you, this is only a season of time. I am not wishing this time in our lives away, I just know I need to be on my knees praying for my boys, plus wisdom and guidance to make it through each and every day.

During my Bible reading the past few days, I realized my boys are no different from those in the Bible, Let me explain.

  1. Adam and Eve placed the blame of their sin on another.
  2. Brothers argue - Cain and Abel
  3. Punishments - just like King Solomon, Mom and Dad must decipher who did what.
  4. The people wouldn't listen to God's instruction.
  5. Excuses - Abraham made an excuse for letting the Pharoah, King Abimelek, and others believe Sarah was his sister.
  6. Lies came early on as Cain lied to God about knowing where Abel was. Abraham lies several times concerning Sarah.
  7. Jacob stole Esau's Birthright
  8. Quite a few of the Bible People had Attitude issues of Pride, jealousy, hatefulness.
  9. Ignoring God 
  10. Ishmael mocked Isaac, Sarah demands Abraham to make Hagar and Ishmael leave.
  11. Arguing with God was quite popular too.
  12. Hormone. I can only imagine the male and female hormones while growing up, even in Bible times. 
Throughout my reading, God remained strong. He punished when it was needed, forgave, showed much grace (even when it wasn't warranted) and consistently loved.

Day to day will always have ups and downs, there will be challenges to face and hurdles to get over. However, with God's example of parenting, I know we will make it through each and every day . . .

With, punishments as needed, forgiveness, grace and a lot of love.


No comments:

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter