Monday, August 18, 2014

Keeping My Guardian Angels Alert!

Quick lil' "You Won't Believe This" kind of story.

My Mom and I had been teasing each other this past week about how our Guardian Angels really have to be on guard around us . . . you just never know WHAT we are going to get ourselves into. Well, tonight My Guardian Angels were scratching their heads once again and possibly even asking God if I was "for real".

It was about dinner time, Katelyn was making dinner. Randy, EJ and Cody were upstairs watching television. Ryan was hanging out upstairs and Cameron and I had just finished tidying the pantry. I brought Cody's Emergency Bag to my desk to check the expiration dates on the EPI pens in the Bag that hangs in our pantry. I immediately found that we needed to discard them and replace with the new prescription that was on our pantry shelf. 

Generally, we discharge the expired EPI pen into a piece of fruit that has grown a bit old and then throw it away. Katelyn gave me a lemon to use for the two EPI pen discharges tonight. It was then that I thought, Cody has practiced with the training pens, I should let him set this EPI pen off into a lemon so if he needed to use one, he would be prepared a little more. 

Cody came to the kitchen and I explained about the expired EPI pen and told him we were going to pretend the lemon was his thigh and he was going to push it into the lemon to discharge it. At first Cody simply set the EPI pen end against the lemon. I stopped him and reminded him that he needed to hold it away from the lemon and then kind of thrust it into the lemon just as he would his thigh. So, he pulled back a bit and went after that lemon like there was no tomorrow. He did a great job of setting off the EPI pen and there is NO doubt that he could take care of it, IF the need arises. 

However . . .

Cody didn't actually hit the lemon . . . Instead, it was my thumb! The needle went in, hit the bone of my thumb and projected out the side of my thumb. Immediately I felt the epinephrine, my thumb instantly went numb and ice cold. Within seconds my hands began shaking and I knew I needed to have the boys interrupt Randy from his show. Cody began crying . . . I felt so bad as it was truly an accident. Katelyn immediately asked what she should do and Randy came quickly down the stairs. My thumb was bleeding badly, so I put pressure on it and then looked up accidental EPI injection. All information directed us to head to the ER. So, off we went.

Once at the registration desk, my blood pressure was immediately taken, as well as my oxygen level and temperature. The back to the ER we went. More blood pressure checks, an EKG and heart monitoring. By this time, I was a bit warm, my heart was beating pretty fast (I could feel it) and I was feeling the adrenaline rush. I was asked multiple times what had happened, as I suppose it was a rarity. The doc finely came in and looked at my thumb. He was amazed at my account of what happened and told me that we needed to make sure my thumb had good color and recovered from the injection. Apparently, there could be some pretty nasty consequences from getting the epi in/near the bone. The doc told us I would be there for two hours so I could be monitored closely for signs of heart issues, trouble breathing and even for my T2 Diabetes to act up. 

Randy and I chatted the time away . . . I kept in touch with Katelyn and the boys, my sisters and my parents, it helped the time to go by. I also snapped a few photos . . .

In through the top . . .

And . . .
Out through the side

My hubs came along and was looking at pistols on his iphone.
He found some really nice ones!

Now don't laugh . . .
and don't judge . . .
Gray is showing through,
Zero makeup
and Hospital Attire . . .
at least the gown was not see through or paper!

I was laying in an awkward position.

PLUS,
I need a pedicure!
My feet mottled a bit from all of the "fun".

Finally, my vitals were just about normal - my heart was still beating a tad fast, but all else was great.

The hospital staff were awesome!

When we were leaving I mentioned to Randy . . .
"Wow, can you believe we were together for two hours without the kids!?" Hmmmm maybe next time we can plan a better "date".

We arrived home and I received hugs from the kids . . .
boys that wanted to SEE my thumb . . .
and a relaxing evening.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

So glad you were ok. Two visits to the ER in several weeks makes me hope things will slow down a bit as fall turns at your house. :)

The Whitakers said...

Oh Julie! WOW! I'm so glad you are ok. How scary. Poor Cody. This will be one of those stories you will tell in the future and say remember when..... : ) Take care. Love ya, Kristi, for all the Whitakers.

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter