Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Allergies, Sensitivities and Intolerance

Three weeks ago, give or take, Our family experienced a VERY Scary Health Issue with Ryan that could pop up in your kids too.

One afternoon, I was in my office at work and the boys were homeschooling in the next room. It was approximately 2:00 p.m. and Ryan was working his math paper. According to Ryan, he moved his arm and noticed a bruise up by the crease of the elbow, but on the top of his forearm. He came to me and I instructed him to put some ice on it. He came in with ice and I asked him what happened and he told me he didn't know. I wasn't worried about it, kids get bruises . . . especially boys. However, all that changed when he came to me 20 - 25 minutes later and the bruise had moved all the way down to his wrist and the forearm muscle was having spasms.  Not little spasms, but the biggest, freakiest spasms I have ever seen. Frankly, between the bruise and the spasms I began thinking something severe was happening. 

I immediately called the pediatrician and explained what was happening. The nurse thought the entire incident was odd and wanted me to watch Ryan. I spoke to her a bit longer and told her I would even send a video of the spasm. She decided I should bring Ryan right in as I was so worried and insistent. We immediately got into the car and made a beeline to the docs office.

Once inside the office, the receptionist took one look at Ryan's arm and the spasms and immediately took us back to the Doc's office. Ryan's doc looked at it, asked me a few questions and immediately sent us to the emergency room for tests and an IV. He was thinking Ryan was low on electrolytes. Once at the Emergency Room, the test began . . . the IV was started . . . xrays were taken . . . a complete physical was given . . . and questions were asked. Then the docs thought Ryan might have a seizure beginning, so they gave him Adavan to help the spasm to cease and try to prevent a seizure. At this point I was in tears . . . I had an entire list of medical issues in my head and most of them weren't good. 

The labs returned with good news . . . Everything was fine. The physical exam turned out more good news . . . Everything was fine. The Emergency Room could find absolutely nothing wrong and sent us on our way with instructions to apply heat and rest if the spasms began again. Randy and I felt a bit of relief, but were concerned at what had happened . . . spasms that bruise simply don't occur on a whim . . . at least that we were aware of. 

We went on about our daily routine, but watched Ryan for any other weird spasms. Three days after the arm spasm and ER visit, Ryan came to me upset, his left leg, just above the knee was having spasms like his arm, with the exception of the bruising. Since he was just checked out a few days before at the ER and nothing was found, I contacted our Chiropractor. He saw Ryan immediately. After xrays of his skeleton, we found out Ryan's neck was crooked, his shoulder had issues and his pelvis was twisted. Then our Doc asked me if Ryan consumed artificial sweeteners . . . soda, junk food, etc. The answer to those questions was Yes. He LOVES Diet coke and drank it a lot. His advise . . . continue treating him by adjusting him until all is back in place and STOP all artificial colors, additives and junk.

A few days after the left leg had spasms, the right leg had spasms . . . we applied heat and it disappeared quickly. We are thankful to report the spasms have stopped. 

The information we have learned from this medical incident has been very enlightening. We have determined that Ryan was on the edge of Aspartame poisoning. 

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious, including seizures and death. A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as part of aspartame dangers are:
Headaches/
migraines
DizzinessSeizuresNauseaNumbness
Muscle spasmsWeight gainRashesDepressionFatigue
IrritabilityTachycardiaInsomniaVision problemsHearing loss
Heart palpitationsBreathing difficultiesAnxiety attacksSlurred speechLoss of taste
TinnitusVertigoMemory lossJoint pain 

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:
Brain tumorsMultiple sclerosisEpilepsyChronic fatigue syndromeParkinson's disease
Alzheimer'sMental retardationLymphomaBirth defectsFibromyalgia
Diabetes    

We have made changes in our home . . . no Diet soda for the kids. I actually would prefer none of us ingest it . . . Randy has drastically reduced his intake. We have also limited the ingestion of food additives - artificial color. I would love to have our home completely processed food free . . . that may take a while to achieve.

There are so many dangers in the foods we eat. Some people are allergic, others have sensitivities or food intolerance. Many have questioned the increase of disease and sickness in our homes. The foods we consume have a great deal to contribute to disease and sickness. I dare say, we would all feel better if we chose our foods a bit better. The food industry needs an awakening - choose health over money and only purchase clean, organic foods . . . like our families did in years past.

Randy and I are so very thankful for our Chiropractor!!! He hit the nail on the head with his suggestion concerning the aspartame. Thanks Doc!

2 comments:

Sabrina C. said...

My husband has Lewy Body Dementia, it is when you have Parkinson's and Alzheimer's symptoms together. He has drank diet soda forever. I put my foot down 4 months ago and would you believe it his symptoms of Lewy Body Dementia have decreased. I totally agree with you on the foods we consume making us sick. Glad that Ryan is doing better.

Julie said...

Sabrina, so glad you put your foot down about the soda. Isn't it incredible how the foods we consume are making us sick? We need to all go back to Farm fresh and nothing processed.

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter