People have asked me about how WE homeschool the kids, so I thought I would post about it for those interested.
The boys are enrolled the Abeka Academy Home school, and I cannot say enough good about it.
Here is how it works - for us:
- Each of the boys have their own desk and computer with ear buds.
- Each grade has its own Teaching Manual, Teacher Quiz Answer books, Teacher Test Answer books, Grading Scale and instructions for each grade for the school year.
- Each grade also has the Student textbooks, work pages, quizzes, tests and reading books.
- The Teacher manual lists the assignments for the day and homework.
- The boys each log onto their computer and then the Abeka Academy web site for the student.
- Once logged on, the subjects list the Lessons the Child is to complete. Bible, Math, Language, Reading, Spelling, Penmanship, History, Science, Health, Art
- The child listens to the day's lessons with the Abeka Academy Classroom. A Certified Teacher teaches each lesson and then the student completes the seat work and home work. If there are tests, the student takes the test with the video students. It is all very interactive.
- After each lesson for each subject is completed, I like to have each child "check out" for the day. Each of the boys will bring their work to the "teacher" (which is myself or Mrs. P) who will go through each subject in the Manual and match the daily work turned in.
- If the child needs help with a subject paper or doesn't understand something in the assignment, Mrs. P or myself are there to help.
For the most part, I highly recommend Home Schooling your children. However, there are those days that are challenging . . . you simply have to work through them.
Here is a link to Abeka Academy, there is a lot of information and video to show you how the Home school works.