Thursday, June 20, 2013

BOYS

I saw a cute little blog post tonight that spoke of "What I Learned on Summer Vacation". It was a cute read and the writer asked the question, "What Have You Learned So Far?"


  • Boys generally loathe and actually procrastinate in cleaning up their room. However, when the boy is fully looking forward to Camp each day, the boy can actually be quietly persuaded to clean it up or miss out on camp for the day. Mom will be shocked to see the boy's bed made as well. Guess he didn't want to leave anything to chance. Mom Scores!
  • Pinterest is quite helpful during the summer months. There are great ideas to keep the hands and minds of little boys busy. Flubber making took up a few minutes of time, however the Flubber kept those little boys busy for hours. Daddy even noticed how quiet the boys were while playing with Flubber.
  • Boys think Twizzlers are actually "snacks" instead of treats. The question, "Mom, can I have a snack?" Actually means, "Mom can I stuff my face with something fruity? (meaning Cherry or Strawberry Twizzlers) 
  • Can't get your boys attention? Start frying up some bacon . . . brings them to the kitchen every time.
  • Boys climb on everything they can even though they have been warned time and again it can be dangerous. When I hear a scream, it almost always stops me in my tracks. I try to remember to call out and ask if everyone is alright prior to assuming the worst. Boys can actually scream as much a girls even though nothing is wrong.
  • Time outs are especially effective when the child is instructed to sit inside the "square". My kitchen has tile floors . . . shapes of the tiles include rectangles, little squares and big squares. My boys do not like sitting "inside" the square during time out because it limits their movement. Even though there is only grout lines on the floor, my boys know to sit still within the boundaries of the square. If the boys are a bit out of sorts or disobedience a quick question, "Do you want to sit in a square?" is asked. It generally gets their attention.
  • Boys eat more in the summer . . . they think they need to eat ALL DAY LONG. Making sure the pantry has plenty of snacks for the kids can be a full time job. I take care of that by purchasing in bulk supply through Amazon.com. I am a Prime member and get free shipping 90% of the time. 
  • Boys love to help their mama do just about anything. When they do help, I try to keep things positive and not discourage them if they don't quite do something right. This summer, two of my boys sneak into my bedroom while I am getting ready in the morning and make my bed for me. I walk into my bedroom and exclaim, "Oh my goodness, the bed making fairies were here!" I usually hear little giggles from my two youngest.What I see is a bed that is made lopsided and wrinkly across the top. It is important for them to know I appreciate what they have done instead of crash their accomplishment with negative comments that they didn't get all the wrinkles out or one side is hanging lower than the other. It is much easier to help those bed making fairies and show them without saying a negative word.
  • Boys do not like to hear these words, "Did you brush your teeth this morning? They look like they have fur on them, go brush." They usually will say . . . I don't have FUR on my teeth. I tell them . . . I see fur . . . better take a look. They usually run off to the bathroom to check and then brush their teeth.
  • Boys will stuff themselves into their little brothers clothing because they don't want to look for their own in their closet.
  • Boys can walk past something laying on the floor all day long and never even notice it . . . even when you ask them why they didn't pick it up. They claim to have never noticed it.
  • Boys actually CAN sleep in from time to time.
  • Boys can never find things, but expect Mama to know where everything is at all times.
  • Boys can be funny, even when they are trying really hard not to be. It is really hard at times to keep a straight face.
  • Boys . . . they live by the seat of their pants . . . keeping mom and dad on their toes.

No comments:

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter