Friday, May 17, 2013

Diabetes

Many have asked how I am feeling and how the diabetes is going, so I thought I would make a little post about it.

I was given a lot of information from the doctor's office about Diabetes. At first, everything seemed a bit daunting, but as the week has progressed I am settling into somewhat of a routine.

Learning how to eat properly is probably the hardest so far. I research each food BEFORE it goes into my mouth. I am enjoying yummy foods like . . . 

  • Rye bread with Laughing Cow cheese
  • Cauliflower & broccoli salad
  • pita with sunbutter
  • spinach salad
  • bean soup
  • steak
  • grapes
  • whole grain bread with chicken sandwich
I will be expanding my menu to foods like:

Chili

Salad

a bean type salad

and more . . .

I do have to say, I am feeling better and didn't even realize I had diabetes until last week. The only symptom I had . . .
Extreme Tiredness which I thought was from staying up late and being in my late 40's.

I feel very fortunate to be diagnosed prior to any really bad health scares from the diabetes.

I now . . .

Make sure to get plenty of sleep.

Stay active.

Check my glucose level several times a day.

Make sure to take my medication.

Drink plenty of water.

I read, read and read about Diabetes.

Plus, I will have quite a few doctor visits in my future until everything regulates.

My Ryan asked me a few times about Diabetes.
First he wanted to know if I was going to die.

(two very close relatives died from cancer - 
death is very real to him.)

I told him . . .
Ryan, Mommy is going to do everything in my power to make sure I take care of this diabetes. The doctor gave me instructions and medication to keep me healthy.

Today he asked if my glucose numbers were bad.
My glucose numbers are beginning to come down . . .
I told him everything was o.k.
So then he asked how high would those numbers need to be to make someone die. I told him that I had read of people getting very sick with glucose levels in the 300s. There have also been many people with glucose levels in the 600s and higher. 
A reading over 500 should get someone moving to the emergency room for a doctor to check why and assist with medication.
I could see the relief on Ryan's face.
I felt horrible that he was worrying about it.

As a Mom and a Type 2 Diabetic, I have a lot of learning and teaching to do about Diabetes. I want my kids to learn how to keep their bodies healthy. They also need to know emergency signs and what to do in an emergency. An emergency could happen at any time or any place to any one . . . 
just like heart attacks, strokes or choking.





                                                                                                                                                          

2 comments:

Sabrina C. said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Diabetes diagnosis. When I was little my grandmother had it and she managed it very well. She had to take shots and she was very careful about what she ate. Tell Ryan that my grandmother lived to be 84 years old. Maybe that will help relieve some of his fears. I totally agree with you on teaching them about diabetes because if you ever have an episode where your sugar drops to low, they will know what to do to help you. Keeping you in my prayers.

Julie said...

Thanks Sabrina!!! I will tell Ryan!

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter