Friday, February 17, 2012

You are Going to be Shaking Your Head at This One!

As I write, the house is very quiet . . . there is only a slight fan sound from my laptop as I write. Silence!

Friday was an enjoyable day . . .  set apart from the other four work days this week.
Today, Ryan and I met up with Katelyn and Randy for lunch . . . Granite City was our choice for today.
Ryan quickly accomplished three classes before we left to meet Randy.
Katelyn only had one class today so she was able to join us.
We had an enjoyable lunch . . .
relatively quiet and sweet conversation.

After lunch we were on to Bass Pro . . .
can you believe we have had one in our area for several months now and we (Katelyn, Ryan and I)
had not been inside until today?
The store was unlike any other we have shopped in . . . 
rather amazing inside.
I have not been in too many store that the store employees were as pleasant!
Extremely friendly and helpful!!!
We browsed and had fun looking at all of the merchandise AND animals, fish and fun.
The customer service counter were equally as helpful and quickly assisted me in a return of an item that I had purchased through the online Bass Pro.
I am pleased to say I give BASS PRO in East Peoria Illinois a 

100 A+ . . . 
5 GOLD STARS
THUMBS UP
AND
WAY TO GO!

It isn't often I can rave this highly on a store . . .
especially a "fishing/hunting" kind of store.

A quick stop to pick up  MORE baby crickets . . . 
yes, I know we just purchased baby crickets for our baby beardies, BUT we are out.
I know . . . I know . . . we just bought a few dozen on our Wednesday . . .
however, I underestimated the size of those wee little crickets . . .
AND
when I went in to feed the baby beardies this morning and looked into the cricket keeper . . .
there was only ONE!

OH DEAR!

Needless to say . . . 
the baby crickets were having a little freedom party . . .
the baby beardies didn't get breakfast . . .
and I felt like a cotton headed ninny muggin for not thinking the baby cricket container through.

After our fun at Bass Pro, we headed over to my Mom and Dad's house.
We had a lovely visit with my Mom and niece dog Lucy.
Lucy is amazingly funny and full of energy .  .  . and gas! lol
It was nice to just "hang out" and chat with Mom . . .
everyone enjoyed.

Once home, we were greeted by three very happy furry babies!
Two very happy beardies  . . . yay ~~~ breakfast, lunch!
Several dead baby crickets - the bug guys spray got them (he sprayed this morning).
and Alice saying she found the baby crickets.
Thankfully, she laughed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of Alice . . .
I thought I would give you an update on how the past three weeks have gone.

After the first week of weirdness . . .
(totally strange and weird to have someone take care of things I have done for almost 30 years)
Wow, that makes me sound REALLY old!
I am still in my 40's folks . . .
O.k. slightly over the mid 40's mark, but STILL in the 40's.

back to my story . . .

After that first week, things began to click . . .
today marked the end of three weeks with Alice and I must say . . .

our family LOVES her!

The boys are learning Spanish . . .
The dogs are learning Spanish . . .
Alice is working on more fluent English . . .
I . . .
well, just let me say . . .
there isn't anything that Alice and I talk about that either of us can't figure out!
Although, we have had a few times when we both were at a loss at the translation for a second or two.

Alice is very conscientious of how she does things.
She takes the time to do each thing 100% and above.
She is a perfect fit for our family.
She cracks me up!

I have been asked if it is strange to have someone in your home each work day that is not family. 
I have to honestly say . . .
at first yes, yes, yes . . .
but now, no . . . 
I know she is in the house, but really don't pay attention to what she is doing anymore.
She takes care of her job and I need not look over her shoulder or check on her.

Today . . .
she even cleaned the oven!

Which leads me to a confession . . .
yesterday I decided to make Pioneer Woman's Pop Pulled Pork.
No problem, right?
Well, I began prepping everything to go into the oven . . .
chopping the onions, measuring out the soda, brown sugar and opening the can of chipotle peppers.
Grabbed the Pork Butt out of the fridge and a pan.
Alice came into the kitchen and offered to help . . .
sure . . .
dig in!
Alice thought the 13x9 pan I was going to use was maybe a bit small for the roast . . .
however, I chose not to heed her warning . . .
I said, "Naaaa . . . it fits, see!?!

We finished prepping the roast, covered it with foil and popped it into the oven.
A few hours later  . . .
I went into the kitchen to turn the roast over as per the instructions.
Much to my surprise and irritation I opened the oven and received a huge ball of smoke up in my face.
Of course, I coughed and coughed because of the smoke . . .
Alice heard me and came in quickly . . .
she asked me if I was o.k. 
Yes . . . I answered, but then she saw the MESS!

OH DEAR!

I looked at her and said . . .
I must apologize, you were right . . .
I should have used a bigger pan!

I grabbed some oven mitts and pulled the 13x9 pan out of the oven . . .
in doing so, I spilled the marinade and pork "juices" all over the oven door, front of the stove, stove top and floor . . . the pan was just too full!

Needless to say, I had a mess.
Alice helped me move the roast to a roasting pan and get it back in the oven.
No time to clean the crazy thing . . .
the roast still needed another three hours to roast.

It was time for Alice to leave and for me to get the boys from school.
Once I returned home, I began the clean up of my big ole mess.

Once the stove top, front and floor was clean . . .
I waited for the pulled pork to be done and then pulled it from the oven.

The good news .  .  .

Pioneer Woman's Pop Pulled Pork was a HUGE success with my family!

Then, there was that oven mess!

I pulled the racks out of the oven and turned on the self cleaning oven . . .
for the next several hours - with the window open, we smelled my ooppss . . .
and it was bad.
Once the oven was finished with it's cleaning job, we turned everything off and went to bed.
We couldn't do any more as the oven was too hot.

This morning I came down to the main floor to find Alice already at work scrubbing the oven.
Bless her heart!
I really didn't intend for her to take care of the oven mess . . .
but boy was I thankful she did!
She is a real gem!

The sweetest part . . .
when I told her that I should have listened to her advise . . . 
she said, "Oh . . . it is o.k., it will be alright!"

I am amazed and blessed all at the same time.



2 comments:

The Whitakers said...

Oh Julie, :)live and learn :). Almost everyday we mom's have at least one humbling experience. LOL!On a really good day, 2 or 3!! :)
I'm glad it's all working out!
Take care, and enjoy the weekend with your wonderful family! :)

admin said...

Alice sounds wonderful. The crickets do not!

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter