Saturday, February 11, 2012

Beautiful Surprise, Advocate, Teach

Saturday morning . . . almost noon and very cold here in my little corner of the world. The temperature is 18 degrees, but it feels like THREE! The winds are blowing and have had been all night.

I have been battling a cold for the past week and a half. I don't feel horrible anymore, but the cough lingers and at times leads to a coughing fit. Not very nice!

We had a pretty good week over all . . . a very welcomed change I must say.

Yesterday I received a surprise . . . Katelyn picked the boys up from school today and while in the process a Dear friend's daughter brought her a gift all wrapped up pretty that had my name on it. Katelyn arrived home and handed me a beautifully wrapped gift and card. The card was amazing in itself . . . a beautiful bunch of flowers! There was a lovely message inside and I must say I am truly blessed!!! My Dear Sweet friend Kristi . . . she is a beautiful, loving, Christian Mom to nine and has time for friendship too! Her message made me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy too! Inside the wrap was a book . . . "Children Learn What They Live . . . Parenting to Inspire Values by Dorothy Law Nolte and Rachel Harris." I am so THRILLED to receive the book and EXCITED to sit down today and drink in the words with my eyes.

I am sure you are wondering .  .  . Why? What is so exciting or thrilling about this book?

I am so glad you asked . . . you see, Kristi and I are mamas of large families . . . hers a few little ones bigger than mine  . . . Like most mamas, we are consistently teaching our children to be "good" kids. However, Kristi and I both desire to take that teaching a bit further. We don't simply want our children to be "good" kids . . . we want our children to be "good kids that are happy, healthy and have good character." (quoting Kristi) We want our children to grow and develop into God fearing young men . . . not simply be "good kids".  Remember the time when "children were to be seen and not heard"? A cookie cutter type of child . . . We want our children to learn and behave the way God wants them to be. We, as parents, can hover over our children to "make sure" they chose the right "way" but what is that teaching them? We must teach them . . . teach them through our heart and watch them develop!

I would like to address a topic very close to the above . . .

Parents must always be advocates for their children . . . EVERY parent. Sadly, many children are disconnected from their children . . . which leaves their children drowning in ocean of criticism, condemnation, bullying and hatefulness.

Kristi and I have children that have been bullied . . . to say it makes the hair on our neck stand is an understatement. Watching your child withdraw and disappear within themselves is horrific. As you remember, if you have read my blog for a few months, my Ryan was being bullied . . . Ryan was struggling and withering away. It scared us! We chose to home school Ryan for the second semester of this school year . . . I must say . . . it has been the best decision! Instead of watching my son wither away I am seeing him BLOSSOM. Seeing him smile and hearing him belly laugh is beyond amazing. Ryan is growing, glowing and excelling!

Compassion was not a quality Ryan demonstrated before he began home school. Of course, compassion was not something he experienced every day at school either. Ryan went to school each day absolutely DREADING what would occur. Once he arrived home, he was emotionally spent and very short tempered with our family. This cycle would recur each and every school day . . . leave the house in dread, experience bullying and hate at school, return home from school on high alert and defensive. We tried to make the bullying stop . . . to no avail. The home school decision was truly the best choice for Ryan. Knowing he did not have to face the kids that bullied him each and every day allowed Ryan to relax and be who he was inside. The difference in our son is no less than amazing.

I could go on and on and on about this topic . . . it saddens me how prevelent it is. Parents never think our children will deal with bullying, but most children experience it. If you have a child that is being bullied . . . DO NOT LET IT CONTINUE!!! I cannot say this strongly enough! Remove your child from the situation . . . before it is too late.

No comments:

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter