This afternoon I made two big pots of homemade soup . . .
chicken and broccoli
cheesy chicken vegetable
I received RAVE reviews from the tasting committee . . .
a.k.a. my family.
The recipes were simply from my head . . .
Cheesy Chicken Vegetable
serves 8 plus leftovers (enough for another meal)
Family sized package of boneless chicken breast
2 onions - chopped
32 ounces Vegetable Broth
milk - enough to change the vege broth white and creamy
Corn - 5 cups of frozen sweet corn
2 bags of frozen broccoli
3 bags of frozen carrots
2 packages of cream cheese
3lb carton of velveeta
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
- First, I defrosted a large package of boneless chicken breast.
- Put the chicken in a pressure cooker with a chopped onion . . . or you can slow cook it in the oven. I highly recommend pressure cookers! I love mine!
- While the chicken is cooking, I added vegetable and chicken broth in a stockpot.
- The great thing about this soup . . . use whatever frozen or fresh veges you have in the fridge, freezer or garden. For this soup I used corn, broccoli and carrots. Add as much or as little as you want depending on your taste. My boys love corn and carrots, so I added more corn and carrots, less broccoli.
- Let the stockpot simmer on medium low.
- Add salt to the veges as they cook . . . or not if you must reduce your salt intake.
- Add garlic or garlic powder . . . I used approximately two teaspoons.
- Add milk to the veges and broth. Add enough to make the broth look a bit like milk in color.
- Add one package of cubed cream cheese. Stir well
- Velveeta cheese is next . . . for my family I used an entire 3 lb carton. If you are making a smaller batch, cut the cheese amount down - start with a half of a carton.
- Stir well and simmer.
- Once the chicken has cooked, shred it an add it to the veges/stock.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes on low.
Now for the Chicken and Broccoli Soup - no cheese
3 boneless chicken breasts - cooked and shredded
1 onion - chopped
32 ounces vegetable broth
12 ounces chicken broth
2 packages frozen broccoli
garlic - to taste - 1 teaspoon or so
add salt to taste or Mrs Dash
simmer veggies in the broth
cook the chicken breast with the onion
add the chicken to the broth
simmer for 20 minutes
serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired