Friday, March 25, 2011

Words

Words . . .
they can build up
they can tear down.

We teach our children . . .
Use kind words.
Build others up.
Don't tear others down.

If you can't speak nicely . . .
don't speak at all.

Then WE do exactly what we instruct them not to do.

We open our mouth . . .

we hurt someone.

Not necessarily that we mean to.
Not that we are trying to be hateful.
But we are not careful
and it happens.

We hurt someone with our words . . .

The Bible tells us . . .

in James 1 tells to be slow to speak. . .
(Really think BEFORE we speak.)

Our tongue is as poison . . . all creatures can be tamed . . . 
No one can tame the tongue.

James 3:5-8 (New American Standard Bible)
 5So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it (A)boasts of great things (B)See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!
 6And (C)the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which(D)defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by (E)hell.
 7For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race.
 8But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of (F)deadly poison.

Today, my tongue hurt someone I love.
It started out simple . . .
an explanation . . .
then 
a bit of sarcasm . . .
and whamo!


Not only did I hurt someone I love,
I hurt knowing that my words cut deep.


I apologized, 
I asked forgiveness.
However, I felt a large cavern had
been placed between us.


The hurt brought "the tongue" to the forefront of my mind. How many other times has my tongue interrupted a friendship? a relationship?


How many times has a brother or sister had words with one another that destroyed their relationship?


How many times has a parent responded to a child with unkind words?


How many times has a careless tongue wreaked 
havoc on a marriage?


We must learn to bridle our tongue.
We must choose our words carefully.
We must protect our relationships.


Pray with me this week that each of us will make a difference in some one's life. A difference that builds up and doesn't tear down. 










1 comment:

Marva said...

I've done the same.......love you Julie and are praying with you!

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter