Wednesday, March 9, 2011

WHY? BULLIES? PRAYER

I read a blog post tonight . . . 

Kristen's . . . click her name and it will link you over to her post. Go ahead and click it . . . read the post and then pop back . . .
I will wait.

Anyway . . .

These past few weeks, our eight year old has been having a rough time. Randy talked to him a few weeks ago and I spoke with him tonight. I asked him to REALLY tell me what was going on.

I already knew a little of what was going on. Randy filled me in on their conversation and the things that were bugging our son.

I was quiet . . .

I listened . . .

He spoke quietly . . .

He is being made fun of. 
(apparently, he is shorter than most of the other kids ~ but he is also the youngest in the class)

Kids tease him.

Kids make him giggle when they are to be quiet during seat~work.

Peer Pressure

As a Mom, those natural maternal instincts begin raising up in my body and in my mind. Those defensive mechanisms Mothers have to defend their children kick in. In those moments, I want to get in my vehicle, drive over to the school and get a hold of some kids. There is absolutely no reason for this non-sense!

Now, before I go any further . . . I want to interject . . .

my son is eight years old

he is NOT perfect by any means

he gets into trouble all by himself ~ he 
doesn't need help from his peers

he is human . . . and sinful . . . we all are

Why must people be cruel and hateful?
Why must children tease other children?
Why does it seem the instigators never get caught . . . just the recipient of the bullying when trying to defend himself or maybe even trying to give a little payback.

This Momma's first response is to get a hold of the bullies and set them straight. Let them know the teasing won't be tolerated. 

After listening to my boy, I quietly asked him to ignore these kids the best he can. To not let them get him into trouble . . . 
to not allow them that satisfaction.

One of the boys that seems to be the "ring leader" threatened my son a few times earlier in the year. He and I had two face to face chats (with a teacher present). When I see him now . . . he glares at me. It is those times in which I get a clear picture of what my son is going through.
It upsets me . . . irritation creeps in.

After reading Kristen's post tonight I know what I need to do . . .
I know what I have not done enough of . . .
I need to . . .

PRAY, PRAY, PRAY for my son.

PRAY, PRAY, PRAY for all of my children . . .

Pray for them when they are playing, eating, resting, sleeping, at school, in the car, etc.

I also need to ASK them how their day was . . . and encourage them to react as Jesus would. At the same time I know that I should remain on my toes to protect my children . . . 
and I WILL take the BULLS by the horns.

The sad thing . . .
it doesn't matter if your children are attending a public or private school . . . bullying happens at all schools.

IT SHOULDN'T!

I encourage you parents and grandparents, talk to your kids . . .
see how things are going for them . . .
be prepared to HEAR and RESPOND
YOU may be the ONLY one your kiddo has to share what is going on in his/her little heart. 

Then,

PRAY, PRAY, PRAY

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Julie, when my kids were going through being teased,I told them to just say "So?" and walked away. It helped them feel a little better to be able to just give a response and then leave. It is a very hard situation for kids at any age, and it is very important to teach them that they have self worth and to talk to them about empathy for others-such as, "I am proud of how you handled that, and I know that it hurt you. I am sure that you would never treat another person that way, would you?" This and similar conversations just opened up communication with my kids and they were able to get through those times of bullying-which is what this really is! One day the bullying was so bad that my son wanted me to just "drop him off at a different school" in second grade. He made it through that day and he is a very strong and confident young teen now. Unfortunately, the schools don't seem to help much, and sometimes it just makes it worse! Praying for your sweet son.

Lindsay said...

I'm sorry that your little one is facing bullying. It makes me so sad that kids have to go through this. I don't remember bullying being so bad when I was little as it is today. Since you have a child with PA/TNA, did you hear about the Florida story yesterday, where it's the ADULTS in the community that are bullying a little girl with severe peanut allergy and her family? I blogged about it on my Nut Free Life blog, but The Allergic Kid blog covered it in much more detail. Ugh. This just breaks my heart! Ironically, the Florida situation happened on the same day President & Mrs. Obama hosted a conference on bullying. Well, you're doing a great job by covering your children in prayer, encouragement, and asking questions. Way to go! :)

The Whitakers said...

Hi Julie,
I am so sorry this is happening to your son. Nothing hurts more than when our kids are hurting. I hope it gets resolved soon. As for you standing up and taking the bull by the horns. My kids have said many times when things haven't been fair you have come in and stood up for yours, but did you realize in the process of doing that you have stood up for mine? Because alot of times the situation affecting your kids is affecting mine? You keep right on with that protective mommy instinct because if we as their parents don't protect them who will?
Have a great week! ~Kristi :)

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter