Katelyn and I began cleaning and Cameron asked if he could help! Yes, you read that right . . . my six year old son asked if he could help! Of course, I was very excited that he wanted to help with the Spring cleaning, so I told him yes and had a "job" for him right away. He was very excited to be able to wash windows . . . he washed the windows as far as he could reach and I washed the remainder of the windows . . . family room only . . . inside and out. Whew! That was quite a job in itself. We also:
- moved our sectional . . . I try to take it apart and move it once a month to be able to clean under and behind it. I am always amazed at the treasures AND dust bunnies that I find.
- washed all window sills
- touched up paint
- touched up furniture - I have a beautiful coffee table that is woven "basket like" that the kids have scratched here and there . . . a wood floor marker takes care of those little scratches easily.
- took down pictures from the wood ledges and cleaned all pictures PLUS the ledges
- removed the cushions from the sectional and vacuumed under them
- vacuumed the sectional cushions
- vacuumed the flooring
- washed the wood flooring with tea - sounds weird, but gives it a great shine
Tomorrow there are a few things we didn't get done in the family room that we tend to:
- our television hangs on the wall in a large frame - we will dust above, inside the frame and the back of the television
- wash the ceiling fan
- clean out the curio cabinet
Once the room is totally together tomorrow, I will post pictures. I am excited that I ordered some new accent pillows for the sectional too! Can't wait to see the room with the new "pop" of color!"
Several weeks ago I ordered some wooden black letters of our last name . . . well, this past week we received them. Today Randy went to Wal-Mart and picked up the command strip thingies so I could hang them. They look amazing! I will post pics tomorrow. The kids thought they were really "cool!"
We were blessed with a visit from my Sis and her girls late this afternoon. They came by to bring Cody a birthday gift and brought along a little friend. I just love my girls so much! We had a wonderful time of chat . . . my Sis and I! This was also the first time they saw Bugsy our Guinea pig. Of course, they all wanted to hold him . . . he objected a bit and whistled and fussed a bit. The girls loved him. I did feel bad for my Sis though . . . she has hay fever and gets itchy eyes . . . Bugsy loves hay and has it in his cage. I try to remember if I have handled him or his hay to wash my hands and then put some allergy eye meds in my eyes as I have itchy eye as well. Ooooppppssss, I didn't even think about it for my Sister! Bad JuJu! Her poor eyes flared up RED, RED, RED . . . allergy eye meds to the rescue! Sorry Janeie! Love you!
Tonight Katelyn and I watched the movie "Old Dogs" and I have to tell you, I laughed and laughed and laughed! Being in my 40's and having young children, I could relate! I know Robin Williams and John Travolta are quite a bit older than I am, but I too have been called "grandma" when I have been with my kids. I ALWAYS make sure to correct the individual that assumes I am "grandma" as I don't want my kids feeling weird! Frankly, people have children later in life now . . . much unlike when I was a child. So, when I am out and about with my 17 year old daughter and 7, 6, 5 and 4 year old sons . . . people be aware! lol My daughter has been accused of being my boys' mom before too! Now, admittedly she does look older than she is AND she is extremely mature . . . but, she is 17 and a good girl! My boys always look at me and say things like . . . what was wrong with them??? can't they see that you are our Mom? sheesh!
This coming week will find us busy each morning . . . the plan is to get the house completely spring cleaned. I know this will be a bit of a challenge, but I think I have it all figured out:
This past week, I spring cleaned the library and piano room. Last night, we spring cleaned the kitchen and pantry. Today and tomorrow we will have the family room completely finished. The way I have it figured, if the kids help me, we can spring clean in the morning and have the afternoons free.
Monday: Mud room, laundry room and 2 1/2 baths on main floor
Tuesday: Master bedroom, bath, closet, a.m. kitchen/sitting room
Wednesday: The two upstairs front bedrooms and hallway
Thursday: Ryan's bedroom and boys bathroom
Friday: Basement family room, mud room and hallway
Saturday: Front porch, decks and patio
Then there is the garage . . . not enough vacation time! We will have to work on it during the weekends.
I will be so excited to be able to get this all done! Such an accomplishment!
Each afternoon I plan to spend time with the kids. Tuesday might be a little tough to get all done in the morning, but that is my goal!
For the afternoons, the fun will reign! Here is what I plan - as long as the weather cooperates:
- fishing . . . the kids love to fish and Randy already bought the night crawlers for us! Thanks Babe! (note to self: be sure to check containers BEFORE putting them in the microwave!)
- get out the bicycles, dust them off, check helmets and let them ride - they love bikes
- just let them run their energy out . . . backyard play is great
- play with play doh - especially if it rains
- pile in the car and take a long drive just to see what we can see - maybe make it into a eye spy game - I could make a list of things that we must "spy" and the celebrate with ice cream when the list is complete
- movies and popcorn afternoon
- get out the Dangerous Boys book . . . you just never know what other great ideas we can come up with! You just may want to remember me in your prayers!