Thursday, January 21, 2010

Retraining Our Dogs to be Wonderful!

We have been having a bit of a problem in our house . . . Emma our Lhasa Apso decided quite some time ago that it is o.k. to use our house as her pee area. I have tried everything short of euthenasia to get her to stop. Well, I came upon a dog training system and I received it today. I am using it on all three of our dogs - each one has their own set of issues. Emma pees, barks, lunges out the door and runs off; Kamie barks - constantly; Mia pees and poops inside at times and barks . . . all three have become my test subjects.

According to the DogFather . . . Dogs pee and poop in your house because they are showing THEIR authority over you. You must re-assume the Leader role and show them you will not tolerate their using the house as their bathroom.

The system uses a specialized collar that simulates the mother dog getting her puppy to obey. I swift tug of the leash that is connected to the collar and you get the attention of the dog, just as the mother dog gets the attention of the puppy. If the dog doesn't take heed, you tug a bit stronger.

This dog training system is supposed to address any type of dog problem or issue. So far . . . I have used it for about six hours and it has worked. The dogs are all wondering what in the world has come over me, but I am going to insist with them that they are not the head of this home, they are dogs (that I love very much) but enough is enough.

I know I have a lot to learn as a dog owner. We have instilled many of their bad behaviors in them and it is up to us to change those bad behaviors.

I am going to keep a journal of our training journey on a different blog - it will be accessible through this blog if anyone is interested.

2 comments:

Marva said...

Way to go J! It sounds like a good approach. Best wishes and hugs!!!!

TJ said...

Oh my! Glad you are getting it all worked out. I have a cat that pees on things, but it's because he's just too dumb to squat in the litter box and it goes shooting out. But, he's our oldest cat so we put up with him (and I silently curse the day we brought him home).

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter