Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Old Fashioned Yummy Goodness . . .

Tonight we had Old Fashioned Yummy Goodness for dinner. That is what we call any home cooked comfort food. This afternoon after school, K and I put together two huge loaves of Meatloaf (our family will eat one entire loaf at dinner) and a huge baking pan of scalloped potatoes along with a salad. The smells in the house are divine! The leftovers won't be left over for very long . . . Sis already has dibs on some for school lunch tomorrow as does oldest son, age 7.

How do I make meatloaf? Well, I just throw in a little of this and that and pop it into the oven. O.k., O.k. you are twisting my arm to share, so here you are:

For my family of seven I use 3 lbs of ground beef (we bought 1/2 of a cow a few months ago).

Recipe: for large family - will feed seven healthy eaters with leftovers
  • ground beef - 3lbs
  • oatmeal - 2 cups
  • onion soup mix package - 1
  • eggs - 2 beaten
  • tomato sauce 1/2 can
  • salt
  • pepper

mix all together well and place in a large loaf pan - I have a special meatloaf pan that I love, love, love!

Preheat your oven to 350

mix the glaze for the top:

  • brown sugar 3/4 cup
  • ketchup 1 1/4 cup

pour and spread the glaze over the ground beef mixture

place the loaf pan in a preheated oven for an hour and 20 minutes for the family size - if you do not have a meatloaf pan that keeps the drippings, put a drip pan under the loaf pan to prevent spill overs.

Now Onto My version of scalloped potatoes: will feed seven healthy eaters.

Recipe:

  • 5 lbs of potatoes, cleaned and sliced
  • cheeze whiz - 2 jars
  • cream cheese - one package
  • butter - 1 stick

layer sliced potatoes in a buttered casserole or 9x13 pan

melt your butter, cheese whiz and cream cheese in a sauce pan and mix until melted and blended

pour over potatoes and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender

I hope your family enjoys this meal as much as mine do!

3 comments:

heartsfullofluv said...

Mmm! I don't think I could get Josh to go for the scalloped potatoes due to the cheese, but the meatloaf recipe sounds yummy!

Mimi said...

I love meatloaf with a nice ketchup glaze!
The scalloped potatoes recipe sounds really decadent. I'd love to try it!
I may serve it on Thanksgiving.

Mommyto3K's said...

Yum,ever try wrapping your meatloaf in bacon?? It add another layer of yumminess:-)

Copyright Text

Our Lives Uncripted is written by me. All pictures are personal and cannot be copied. No portion of this blog can be copied and/or sold. All content copyright JCP, Ourlives-unscripted.blogspot.com All Rights Reserved!



stat counter